Monday, May 10, 2010

Transportation


Autobahn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8PQUTiBNyw

One of the most fascinating parts of Germany, for anyone who loves cars and likes to drive fast (I won’t lie, I like driving my car fast!) will love the autobahn in Germany. It is the only place in the world where there is no designated speed limit. The only speed limit that is posted is a suggested speed limit, but otherwise drivers are allowed to push the pedal to the metal!

I will never forget one of the emails that Falk had sent me not too long ago. He is back home in Meißen (was studying in Dresden) and had to go to another city for a meeting (I can't remember the name). He had to wake up really early for about a 6 hour drive. He told me he was making good timing except for when he had to slow down when there was a slower speed limit, fog or rain, otherwise he was travelling at about 170mph!!! No wonder he was making good timing at a rate like that! The fastest I have ever gone was 160mph (and no I was NOT driving). I was able to ride in a real Nascar around the speedway in Fontana this past October and it was an AWESOME experience! (See picture!) Even though I’m a fan of Nascar and Falk is a fan of Formula 1, we both like fast cars, but fortunately he can drive faster than I’m allowed to!

Ride-Along Experience...similar to what I did here in CA! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1RMahG-bzQ&feature=PlayList&p=1A56D675B13A7C30&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=10

I always write to him and tell him about how long it takes to get from Point A to Point B here in southern California. He has the hardest time believing me, because there is just way too much traffic here in California! With only living 6 miles away from Cal Poly, it can take me about 20 minutes or so to get there or back home, because of traffic! He suggests I ride my bike to school (and save money on gas) but even then that is not a safe way of commuting. It appears that drivers in Germany are better than the drivers here in so cal, because even walking or riding a bike is dangerous. And, once again, he has the hardest time believing me. He has to experience it for himself, in order to truly believe me! ;)

Of course, another major form of transportation that Falk relies on a lot is the trains. He just recently told me about his visit to Prague and it only took him about 3 hours by train to get there. Transportation is more convenient than it is here, or at least I believe so. Trying to get anywhere around California takes way longer than it really should, but unfortunately there really isn’t much that can be done to change that.

Eurail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSSOEUDsphM

Transportation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x5rV8T-OhI&feature=related

Carpooling: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlexandJim#p/u/19/wms3Al-gWTg

No comments:

Post a Comment