Monday, May 17, 2010

Schule (School)


Whenever people find out how old I am, they are usually shocked, especially when they find out I have graduated with my BA degree, have a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential and now I’m working on my Masters degree. At 22 years old, I’m usually the youngest in all of my classes but after explaining to people that I started school early (due to the cutoff date) and took lots of summer school (before all of these budget cuts affected education), I am where I am at because of that. Falk explained to me that if I was in Germany, I would fit right in, since many students have accomplished this by the age of 22.

Differences between schools in the US and Germany:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4166483/11215695

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:b26wu03PlR0J:faculty.ccri.edu/panaccione/In-classpresentations/Contrast%2520of%2520Education.ppt+germany+vs+usa+education&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

I have learned that the education system in the US and Germany are very different. Usually (and now it appears mandatory that children attend preschool) children go to a preschool, then onto elementary school (Kindergarten-5th or 6th grade), middle school (6th-8th grade), high school (9th-12th) and college (community, cal state, university, trade school, etc.). In Germany, children spend about 2 years in Kindergarten (which to me, is equal to children going to preschool and Kindergarten). Children then go to elementary school for 4 years (1st-4th grade) and are divided into 3 different educational tracks or systems. So, by the age of 10 years old, students’ academic futures are determined. Students can follow the Hauptschule (vocational education), Realschule (technical school) and Gymnasium tracks (college). In Hauptschule and Realschule, students spend about 9-11 years of school. The Gymnasium track is the only way students can attend college in the future. Another quite interesting fact that I learned is that tuition is usually free, whereas we are all too familiar with paying plenty of money to attend school here in the US.

German education explained:

http://www.german-way.com/educ.html

One of the most interesting things I found out and after being able to talk and write to Falk in English, is the amount of time devoted to learning German AND English. I took 3 years of Spanish in high school and to this day can’t remember any of it. Only 2-3 years are required here, in order to attend a university but I was amazed at Falk’s English. I have emailed with a few other penpals from Germany and couldn’t understand what they were saying, since their English wasn’t good at all. I know Falk has spent many years studying English and German, in order to be bilingual, though I know he speaks and writes everything in German. The only way he gets to practice his English is by writing with me and for me to practice my German is with writing to him! Fortunately with being able to use Skype to talk to him, his English is really good too. I suppose my only way of learning German (and becoming fluent) is to travel and be immersed in the language and culture. Maybe in the future, that will be a possibility and a reality! :D

Why traveling is a good way to learn a language (at 1:28-2:30):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEDoJgjj6NM


2 comments: